Rev. Dr. Chuck Moffett
The last fifteen months have turned the world – and our individual worlds – upside down.
Many now are looking to see what it will take to turn everything right side up.
Of course, each person claims to have the “right” definition of what is the “RIGHT” side.
Most will say the RIGHT side is obvious….it simply means to return to “normal.”
What is “normal” for one person, however, is not necessarily “normal” for another:
We get the picture. I wonder what picture God sees? I wonder if God defines “normal” the same way we do?
The following helps me decide my definition of NORMAL:
- God does not ask what kind of car I drive, but rather how many people I have helped who have no transportation.
- God does not ask about the clothes I have in my closet, but rather how many people I have helped clothe.
- God does not ask about my material possessions, but rather if my material possessions dictate my life.
- God does not ask what was my highest salary, but rather if I compromised my values to get it.
- God does not ask what I have done to protect my rights, but rather what I am doing to protect the rights of ALL;
- God does not ask about the color of my skin, but rather asks about the content of my character.
Perhaps as we celebrate Independence Day and “FREEDOM,” we need to take time to reflect on how we define “freedom” –
and does “independence” translate into what is good only for me,? Does “normal” mean only MY freedom, or live in such a way as to advocate freedom for EVERYONE? How do I define “normal?”